Highly Skilled Migrant and Scientific Researcher


16 January 2014
13 March 2017

Formalities for highly skilled migrants and scientific researchers who are citizens of states outside the EU, EEA or Switzerland.

The Hague International Centre (THIC) is the one-stop-shop for highly skilled migrants and scientific researchers who are working for a company or organisation that is authorized as a sponsor by the Immigration and Naturalization Service (IND) and live or work in The Hague (Den Haag), Delft, Leidschendam-Voorburg and Rijswijk. The employer may already submit an application for a residence permit before the applicant arrives in the Netherlands. You can find the application forms by clicking on the following links: highly skilled migrant and scientific researchers.

If you already received a residence permit, you can still apply for a citizen service number (BSN), if you live in The Hague region.

With just one visit to THIC, highly-skilled migrants can register in the Personal Records Database (BRP) of the municipality, and be issued a citizen service number (BSN) and a residence permit on the spot. This so-called one-stop shop takes approximately 4 weeks (from the time the application is submitted to the visit to the THIC).

I want to register in the BRP and receive a residence permit and BSN

You can make an appointment to register in the BRP and need to attend the appointment in person. If family members want to register too, then they need to come along as well.

  • What to bring to the appointment?
    • Valid proof of identity. Please note: a driving licence will not be accepted as valid identification.
    • Proof of occupancy:  Read more 
    • A recently issued original birth certificate. A recent original marriage certificate (if applicable). This is only needed for the first registration or if you have never shown your certificates before. These documents will be reviewed during your appointment. Both documents can also be presented at a later date.
  • Legalization
    Documents from certain countries must be legalized or have an apostille. Find more information on the website of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.
  • Translations
    Some foreign documents must be translated into Dutch by a certified translator. The municipality will verify the authenticity of the identity documents. Read more on translating foreign documents.
  • What does it cost?
    This service is provided free of charge.
  • How long does it take?
    Registration takes place and is completed during the appointment.
  • Make appointment

16 January 2014
13 March 2017