Privileged Persons

02 June 2014
06 June 2016

Registration for diplomatic officers and employees of international organisations.

Diplomatic officers and employees of international organisations have a privileged status. They receive a privileged person's identity card from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MFA card).

Registration with the municipality

Privileged persons are not obliged to register with the municipality in which they reside. However, it is strongly advised that members of this group do register in the personal record database (BRP). 
Increasingly, contacts between residents and the authorities e.g. the municipality, the Tax and Customs Administration and the Dutch Road Transport Directorate (RDW) as well as hospitals, medical specialists, the police and other services are facilitated through the use of the citizen service number (BSN) which is generated upon registration in the BRP.

Obtaining a BSN only for new arrivals

As of January 2014 people with a privileged persons status will be automatically issued a burgerservicenumber (BSN) after they register in the Protocol Database of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs. They will receive a letter with all of their details at their personal address.

I want to register

Holders of the privileged person’s identity card can make an appointment to register in the BRP and need to attend the appointment in person. If family members want to register too, then they need to come along as well.

  • What to bring to the appointment?
    • Valid proof of identity. Please note: A driving licence will not be accepted as valid identification.
    • Proof of occupancy
    • A recently issued original birth certificate. A recent original marriage certificate (if applicable). This is only needed for the first registration or if you have never shown your certificates before. These documents will be reviewed during your appointment. Both documents can also be presented at a later date.
    • Privileged person's identity card (MFA card)
  • Legalization
    Documents from certain countries must be legalized or have an apostille. Find more information on the website of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.
  • Translations
    Some foreign documents must be translated into Dutch by a certified translator. The municipality will verify the authenticity of the identity documents. Read more on translating foreign documents.
  • What does it cost?
    This service is provided free of charge.
  • How long does it take?
    Registration takes place and is completed during the appointment.
  • Make appointment


02 June 2014
06 June 2016