What is child benefit and how do I apply for it?

With child benefit the Dutch government aides in covering the expenses of raising a child. If you live or work in the Netherlands and you have a child or children under 18, you will get Dutch child benefit paid by the SVB if you meet the following conditions:

  • You work or live legally in the Netherlands or you work outside the Netherlands for an employer established in the Netherlands.
  • The birth certificates of the children are registered in the municipality’s Personal Records Database (BRP).
  • You have (adopted) children, stepchildren or foster children who are younger than 18 years of age.

If you have just moved to the Netherlands, have adopted a child, or want to claim child benefits at a point in time other than the child's birth, you can fill out a claim form from the SVB. You will need a DigiD for this. Read more…