womens health The Hague region

Women's health


You or your partner can ask your GP for a referral to a gynaecologist for a comfortable environment to discuss physical and sexual health. While your GP will be able to help you with several situations, including minor infections, a lot of women feel more comfortable in a female- focused environment.

Family planning

Your GP or gynaecologist will be able to help you with family planning. This may include choosing a contraception method so you will be able to plan with your partner for the best possible time to get pregnant. Condoms are available at all drugstores and supermarkets, but you may also ask for a birth control pill prescription or a IUD (a tiny device that is put in your uterus to prevent pregnancy).

When you decide to stop using contraception and actively try to have a baby, your GP or gynaecologist will also be able to assist you with advice and perform a check-up when needed.

Emergency contraception

If your contraception has failed or you were not able to use it, you can buy the morning after pill without a prescription in drugstores. You should take this as soon as possible after unprotected sex. If it has been longer than 3 days since you've had unprotected sex, go see your GP for advice about your personal situation.

Pregnancy test

You can get a pregnancy test at any drugstore in the Netherlands. If you test positive, it is wise to go see your GP or a midwife so they can do a full check-up and determine how far along you are. They will also be able to provide you with advice on how to proceed, and can answer any questions.

Unwanted pregnancy

 If you or your partner has an unwanted pregnancy, you may want to talk to your GP or your gynaecologist about your options. If you decide to not want to continue your pregnancy, you can choose to have a medical abortion (known as the ‘abortion pill’) or a surgical, in-clinic abortion. Your treatment options will depend on your personal situation.