Childcare benefit

Childcare benefit


What is childcare benefit?

Does your child go to a childcare centre? If so, you may be entitled to the childcare benefit. This is a government contribution towards the costs of childcare. The benefit applies to:

  • day nurseries (kinderdagverblijf)
  • after school care (naschoolse opvang)
  • host parents (gastouderopvang)

When do I qualify for childcare benefit?

In order to qualify for the childcare benefit, you (and your fiscal partner) need to meet the following conditions:

  • You have a job or you follow a reintegration programme, a civic integration course or a training programme.   
  • The childcare centre or childminding agency is registered . In case of childminding services, the childminder must be registered as well.
  • You concluded a contract with the childcare centre or childminding agency.
  • You pay the costs of the childcare.
  • You have the nationality of an EU country, Liechtenstein, Norway, Iceland or Switzerland. Are you from another country? In that case, you need a valid residence permit or work permit.

The number of childcare hours for which you may receive the childcare benefit depends on the number of hours worked by the parent with the fewest working hours. You are entitled to the childcare benefit for a maximum of 230 hours per month per child.

How to apply for childcare benefit

You can apply for childcare benefit yourself via the Dutch tax authority (Belastingdienst). You will need a DigiD for this.

What if my family does not live in the Netherlands?

Do your benefit partner and your children live in an EU country, in Norway, Iceland, Liechtenstein or Switzerland? And do your children go to a childcare centre in that country? If so, you may also be entitled to the childcare benefit. You and your benefit partner must meet the conditions stated above.

A foreign childcare centre must be registered as well. Check the register of foreign childcare (Register buitenlandse kinderopvang - only available in Dutch) to see if your childcare centre is registered. 

Related Articles

The Dutch government provides several kinds of financial contributions for citizens and residents in the Netherlands, mostly via the Belastingdienst (Dutch tax office).
What is child benefit? With child benefit the Dutch government aides in covering the expenses of raising a child.