Almost everyone living and working in the Netherlands has a DigiD, as it makes life and your administration easier. With your DigiD (short for Digital Identification), you can prove your identity online to hundreds of government organisations in order to get access to their services. It is like a digital version of your passport or driving licence. The DigiD consists of a username and password that are linked to your citizen service number (BSN).
What you can use DigiD for
Your DigiD gives you access to hundreds of Dutch government websites. These include:
- Government departments
- Belastingdienst (Dutch tax office)
- Municipalities and their partners
- Pension funds
- The Dutch police
- Dutch provinces
- Regional water boards
- Healthcare providers (including pharmacies)
- Dutch health insurance companies
DigiD allows you to arrange many of the municipality’s online products and services, such as municipal taxes and requesting official documents. DigiD is also used for private health care services, such as applying for health insurance or making an appointment in the hospital.
Unfortunately, you can only use DigiD if you are registered at the municipality. Privileged persons that are only registered at MFA cannot use DigiD. If you want to use DigiD, please make an appointment to register at The Hague International Centre.
How to apply for a DigiD
You can apply for a DigiD for free on the DigiD website. The online application form has 3 steps and is in English.
- See this step-by-step explanation on how to apply for a DigiD.
- See this overview of frequently asked questions on DigiD.
DigiD not working
Are you having problems logging in with DigiD? This could be because:
- you have logged in with an incorrect username or password. Please note the difference between uppercase and lowercase characters.
- your DigiD is blocked. Please wait until the specified time and try again.
- you have not activated your DigiD. Activate your DigiD with the activation code that you received by mail.
- your DigiD expired because of 3 years of inactivity. Please reapply for your DigiD.