BRP registration

Staying for longer than four months

If you are moving to The Hague region for longer than four months, you must register with your local municipality. This is called BRP registration. The BRP is a database that is used by all Dutch governmental institutions, and you will not be able to access Dutch government services without being registered in the BRP. Once you have registered in the BRP, you obtain a BSN tax number. It is a legal requirement to register in the BRP if you are staying for longer than four months. The only exception to this is if you are a representative of a foreign government, or an international organisation (‘privileged status’).

The Hague International Centre's registration services

The Hague International Centre offers its services to people coming to The Hague region to live and work if:

  • You work for an international organisation, company, NGO; charity, or other organisation that is on the IND's list of recognised sponsors


  • You will live in one of the municipalities of The Hague, Delft, Rijswijk; or Leidschendam-Voorburg

If you qualify for The Hague International Centre's services, you can book an appointment here.

Registering if you do not qualify for The Hague International Centre's Services

If you are a family member of someone that already has a residence permit in the Netherlands, a European Labour Migrant or Asylum Seeker and you do not qualify for The Hague International Centre's services, you will have to register at your municipality's district office.

Read more about registration at:

What to bring to your appointment

Whether you are registering with The Hague International Centre, or at your local municipality office, you will need to bring:

  • Valid identification (passport or other travel document)
  • Proof of occupancy: rental/tenancy agreement, home purchase deed or a signed statement by the main occupant of the house. Please use the following statement. Please bring a copy of the ID of the main occupant of the house and a copy of the signed rental/tenancy agreement or purchase deed of the house
  • Legalised birth, marriage and/ or divorce certificate (if available). Read more about legalisation and apostille here.
  • Residence permit or letter of approval from the IND (if applicable)
  • Privileged or MFA card (if applicable)

Please note that everyone registering with their municipality must turn up to their appointment in person.

BRP extracts

You can request an extract from the BRP to provides proof that you are registered in the municipality’s personal records database. 

Institutions and official agencies can sometimes ask you for an extract, for example when you enroll in an educational programme.

You can request a BRP extract online with your DigiD. You will need to pay in order to get the extract. The fee differs in each municipality.

Read more about requesting a BRP extract at:


You can also see here for more information on IND residence permits, here for RNI registration (if you are staying for less than four months), and here for more services from The Hague International Centre