Child benefit The Hague region

Child benefit

What is child benefit?

With child benefit the Dutch government aides in covering the expenses of raising a child. If you live or work in the Netherlands and you have a child or children under 18, you will get Dutch child benefit if you meet the following conditions:

  • You work or live legally in the Netherlands or you work outside the Netherlands for an employer established in the Netherlands.
  • The birth certificates of your children are registered in the Municipal Personal Records Database (BRP).
  • You have (adopted) children, stepchildren or foster children who are younger than 18 years of age.

How to apply for child benefit

The SVB or Social Insurance Bank will decide on your entitlement.  If you have privileged status, different rules may apply. If you have just moved to the Netherlands, have adopted a child, or want to claim child benefits at a point in time other than the child's birth, you can fill out a claim form from the SVB. You will need a DigiD for this.