Work during your studies

Work during your studies

Taking on paid work while studying is common in the Netherlands. Many students find it a good option to supplement their grant or scholarship. Student jobs come in many forms and can also be a good way to put your studies into practice, learn new skills and make industry contacts. But there are some requirements you need to be aware of if you are an international student in the Netherlands on a student visa. 

Student Work Permit 

If you are an international student and you want to work in addition to your studies, you need to have a work permit (TWV - tewerkstellingsvergunning), unless you are from the EU, EEA or Switzerland. Your employer will need to apply for this, and you will both be making a commitment to each other. When you receive a work permit, you can work for 16 hours a week throughout the year, or full-time during the summer months of June, July and August.

Student Work Permit Requirements

You are required to have Dutch health insurance if you have a part-time job while studying. Sometimes taking on paid employment means you must switch your current health insurance for a more expensive plan. Make sure to check whether it is worth the effort and money to switch plans. Find more information on studying and health insurance in the Netherlands. You must also check if your student grant allows you to take paid employment

Students from EU/EEA or Switzerland member countries are free to work without restrictions in the Netherlands. However, everyone living in the Netherlands must have a Dutch citizen service number (BSN), which is issued when you register with your local municipality. 

Freelance Work and Entrepreneurship 

As of April 2017, international non-EU/EEA students are allowed to become self-employed during their studies without requiring a work permit. You may take on freelance work for an unlimited number of hours, alongside your studies and a maximum of 10 hours a week in a part-time job. Non-EU/EEA students still need a work permit for a part-time job and must comply with the conditions for their residence permit. 

Student financing while working as an EU national

If you are a student in the Netherlands and an EU national, you can request student financing from DUO, but there is a condition for you to complete. You must be working at least 32 hours a month.

Check you eligibility and more details on the conditions for student financing on the official website.

Finding a Student Job

In an international city like The Hague there are many options for student jobs for non-Dutch speakers. There are a number of recruitment agencies that specialise in helping students and recent graduates to find a job in The Hague region. Even though some websites are in Dutch, it is definitely worth stopping by their office or contacting them by email to see if they have opportunities that match your skills.

Find out more about student permits and visas and options for financing your studies. You can also learn more about student life and organisations in The Hague region.