Work and studies The Hague region

Working during your studies


If you want to work during your studies, you should keep in mind that there are some formalities you need to take care of.

Working during your studies

If you are an international student and you want to work in addition to your studies, you need to have a work permit (TWV - tewerkstellingsvergunning), unless you are from the EU, EEA or Switzerland. Keep in mind that your employer will need to apply for this and that you will both be making a commitment to each other. When you receive a work permit, you can work for 16 hours a week throughout the year, or full-time during the summer months June, July and August.

Sometimes, having a part-time job may mean that you need to switch to a higher insurance plan since you are not a national. Make sure to check whether it is worth the effort and money to switch plans; it may very well be that it is more profitable for you to not be employed while you are studying in The Hague. Your student grant may also not allow you to earn additional money.

Students from EU member countries that entered the EU before 1 May 2004 do not need a residence document to work in the Netherlands. It is however always required to have a citizen service number (BSN), which you will receive after registration at the municipal registry office.

There are several student work agencies to help you find a job in The Hague. While their websites are primarily in Dutch, it is worth stopping by at their office or giving them a call to see if they have opportunities for you.

Freelance work/entrepreneurship

As of April 2017, international non-EU/EEA students are allowed to become self-employed in addition to their studies without requiring a work permit. You may do so for an unlimited number of hours, in addition to their studies and part-time job (with a maximum of 10 hours a week). Please note that non-EU/EEA students still need a work permit for a part-time job and have to continue to comply with the conditions for your residence permit. The same applies to students that obtained their residence permit before April 2017. They are also allowed to work as entrepreneurs during their studies. EU students have free access to the Dutch labour market.

Related Articles