Insurance The Hague region



In the Netherlands, there are many types of insurances to cover all manners of mishaps. Though these insurances are not compulsory, some – like liability insurance – are strongly recommended.

These are the most used types of insurance in the Netherlands:

Health insurance (zorgverzekering)

Everyone is obliged to take out health insurance (though not dental) to protect against the financial risks of illness and hospital admission. Read more in our section on health insurance.

Liability insurance (aansprakelijkheidsverzekering)

In the Netherlands, you are legally liable if someone suffers damage through an accident caused by you. Personal liability insurance covers almost all damage for which you, your child or your pet might be held liable, regardless of how the incident in question occurred. Note that damage caused by motor vehicles is not covered by this insurance.

Contents insurance (inboedelverzekering)

Insure against unforeseen damage to the contents of your home with a contents insurance. In some larger cities, you will always have an excess or deductible (eigen risico) for theft, and there is typically a maximum payout for audio-visual equipment. It is important to make sure your home’s contents are insured at replacement value. Read more in our section on home insurance.

Travel insurance (reisverzekering)

A permanent travel insurance policy (doorlopende reisverzekering) is quite common in the Netherlands. This insurance covers damages whenever you travel. In general, it is cheaper and involves less paperwork if you have a permanent travel insurance policy, instead of arranging a separate policy for each trip. If you travel a lot, it is a good idea to take out this type of insurance.

Car insurance (autoverzekering)

If you own a vehicle in the Netherlands, you must have liability insurance to cover the cost of damage to the vehicle. Read more in our section on car insurance.

Legal aid insurance (rechtsbijstand)

Legal aid policy or legal assistance will cover the costs of personal legal disputes, such as contractual disputes, third-party damages (regardless of liability), housing issues, criminal cases and disputes about labour. Most disputes involving social or contractual law are covered by legal aid insurance. Family law is generally excluded; you will need to consult legal counsel to handle such cases.

Funeral insurance (uitvaartverzekering)

If you die in the Netherlands, your next of kin will have to bear the expense of your funeral or cremation. To avoid the burden on them, you can take out funeral insurance.

Related Articles

Health insurance is mandatory for everyone who lives or works in the Netherlands and is subject to Dutch social security law.
Being a home owner also means taking care of your property. In case of an accident, you will be responsible for the costs and repairs - which makes insurance very important.
Whenever someone passes away, a doctor will provide a statement of death to the surviving relatives. This document is needed to arrange the funeral.