Personal Records Database (BRP)


Municipalities record the personal data of all residents in the Personal Records Database (BRP). These data include marriage, the birth of a child, or a change of address. If someone moves to another municipality, their personal data moves with them.


Everyone who lives in the Netherlands for more than 4 months should register at the BRP of the municipality there are going to live in. If your stay in The Hague region (The Hague, Delft, Rijswijk and Leidschendam-Voorburg) is sponsored by an international organisation, NGO, company, university or a school, you can register through The Hague International Centre. If this is not the case, you will need to make an appointment at the Centrum district office (City Hall). Read more in our section on registration procedures.

How to register at The Hague International Centre

If you qualify for registration at The Hague International Centre, you can make an appointment here.

Please bring the following documents to your appointment with The Hague International Centre:

  • Valid identification (passport or EU identity card).
  • Proof of occupancy: rental/tenancy agreement, home purchase deed or a signed statement by the main occupant of the house. Please use the following statement. Please bring a copy of the ID of the main occupant of the house and a copy of the signed rental/tenancy agreement or purchase deed of the house.
  • Legalised birth, marriage and/ or divorce certificate (if available). Read more about legalisation and apostille here.

During your appointment at The Hague International Centre, you will be registered in the Personal Records Database of your municipality (BRP). You will receive your citizen service number (BSN) on the spot.

How to register if you do not qualify for The Hague International Centre's services

If you do not qualify for The Hague International Centre's services, you will have to register at your municipality's district office.

Read more about registration at the Municipality of...

BRP extracts

You can request an extract from the basisregistratie personen (BRP). It provides proof that you are registered in the municipality’s personal records database. The document contains your personal details as they are known to the municipality, such as your address.

Institutions and official agencies can sometimes ask you for an extract, for example when you enrol in an educational programme.

You can request a BRP extract online with your DigiD. You will need to pay in order to get the extract. The fee differs in each municipality.

Please note: if you are registered in The Hague International Centre, you can get your BRP extract with us from Monday to Thursday from 9.00 hrs to 12.00 hrs. You will need to bring a debit- or creditcard to pay for your extract.

Read more about requesting a BRP extract at the Municipality of...

Related Articles