Work residence permit The Hague region

Work and residence permits

The type of permit you need to live and work in the Netherlands depends on your nationality, the length of your stay, and the reason for your stay. Citizens of EU and EEA countries and Switzerland do not need a Dutch work visa or residence permit. The Immigration and Naturalisation Service (IND) handles issuing residence permits (verblijfsvergunningen) for people who need them to live and work in the Netherlands. 

Stays Shorter Than 90 Days 

If you will be working in the Netherlands for less than 90 days, you may need a work permit (TWV) depending on your country of origin and the work you will be doing. You do not need a permit if you are from the EU, EEA or Switzerland. Your employer applies for a TWV with the Netherlands Employees Insurance Agency (UWV). There are some exceptions to this. For example, highly skilled migrants and scientific researchers do not require a work permit.

Stays Longer Than 90 Days

If you want to work and live in the Netherlands for longer than 90 days and you are not an EU/EEA/Swiss citizen, in most cases you will need a residence permit, called an authorisation for temporary stay (MVV). You need to apply to the IND for this permit. Usually, you will need a sponsor to obtain an MVV. Employees are sponsored by their employer, students by their educational institute.

Residence permits are available for a range of reasons, such as working, studying, researching, as a family member and as an entrepreneur.  There is also the orientation year permit (zoekjaar), for people who have graduated from a Dutch or qualifying international university. 

Each residence permit has its own requirements regarding, for example, income or civil status. Citizens of EU/EEA countries and Switzerland do not need a residence permit to live and work in the Netherlands. 

Extra Information

Everyone staying in the Netherlands for more than four months (including EU nationals) must register in the Personal Records Database (BRP) to obtain a Citizen Service Number (BSN).You must register in person at your local district office or city hall.  

Further information about the specific requirements for residence permits, the fees, the necessary documentation and the processing times can be found on the IND website

People who have diplomatic privileges or are employees of international treaty organisations and their families enjoy a special ‘privileged’ status in the Netherlands and do not need to apply for a residence or work permit.

Find out more about working and studying in The Hague. Discover the city’s neighbourhoods and learn about renting a house or apartment in The Hague.