Work residence permit The Hague region

Work and residence permit


Shorter than 90 days - Work permit

If you will be working in the Netherlands for less than 90 days, you need a work permit (TWV) depending on where you come from. You do not need a residence or work permit if you are a citizen from the EU, EEA or Switzerland. Your employer applies for a TWV with the UWV (Netherlands Employees Insurance Agency). There are some exceptions that do not require a work permit, such as highly skilled migrants and scientific researchers.

Longer than 90 days – Residence permit

If you want to work and live in the Netherlands for longer than 90 days, in most cases you will need to have a special visa to enter the country, called an authorisation for temporary stay (MVV). You can apply to the Immigration and Naturalisation Service (IND) for a residence permit. Citizens of EU/EEA countries and Switzerland do not need a residence permit to live and work in the Netherlands.

How to apply?

How to apply for a work or a residence permit depends on your situation: where you will be working or studying, how much you will earn and which country you originate. Visit our Registration Procedure section for a detailed description on how to apply for these permits.

Collecting your residence permit

You can collect your residence permit from the IND at The Hague International Centre. You need to make an appointment for this.